Alarming Stat of the Day: We Check Our Phones Every 12 Minutes

Photo:

Georgia de Lotz on Unsplash

Let’s face it: We all know we have an unhealthy addiction to our smartphones. But a new study released today proved just how real the issue is. The research, which was conducted by telecoms regulator Ofcom, revealed that the average UK adult checks their phone every 12 minutes they spend awake. That means we’re only just about making it through a quarter of an episode of The Handmaid’s Tale without heading for a quick scroll.

The survey also revealed that two in five adults check their phone within the first five minutes of their day, and 71% of us never turn our phones off at all (yep, guilty). Ofcom says this data denotes we’ve officially entered a decade of “digital dependency.” Cast your mind back to 2008, where only 17% of UK adults owned a smartphone. Now, 2018, it’s more like 78%. When our first reaction to such a statistic is “What on earth are the other 22% doing without one?!” it’s safe to say it might be time to take a step back.