We’re looking for a full-time Editor to join Byrdie at our offices in Los Angeles or New York. Are you a strong writer with a passion for beauty, health, and fitness; an eye for trends; and a knack for tackling daily deadlines? Read below for more details about the positions and to learn how to apply.
Clique Media Group—parent company to WhoWhatWear.com, Byrdie.com, and MyDomaine.com—is seeking a full-time Editor to join the fast-paced Byrdie.com editorial team. The ideal candidate will be an accomplished online editor with a comprehensive knowledge of celebrity beauty trends, runway trends, and beauty brands, as well as exceptional writing skills. Byrdie.com’s Editor must also have strong visual sensibilities and the ability to make beauty market recommendations that are suitable and appropriate for the site’s content—strong relationships with key beauty brands and PR professionals are a must. We are seeking true wordsmiths who are comfortable with writing for the web, are able to research and package stories with ease, and have the ability to quickly tackle daily deadlines while managing multiple projects. The position offers enormous potential for growth within the company and is an integral part of this exciting multimedia fashion and beauty startup.
• Write daily content for Clique Media Group's beaauty site, including features, shopping stories, image-heavy slideshows, first-person stories, and interviews.
• Conduct photo research, including downloading and gathering photo credits.
• Produce stories and newsletters in the CMS.
• Write social copy around each story.
• Work with the ad sales team to conceive, execute, and build custom copy for campaigns and advertorials.
• Conceive, plan, and execute Byrdie’s editorial shoots.
• Work closely with the Entertainment Director to guarantee celebrity features.
• Cover New York Fashion Week to discover seasonal trends and new products and develop relationships with editorial artists and stylists.
• Stay up to date on beauty news for timely stories (in addition to daily features), relevant videos for the video section, and social engagement.
• Maintain close relationships with beauty publicists.
• Work closely with artists’ agencies to maintain relationships with celebrity hair, makeup, and nail artists for breaking news and bookings.
• Recruit, train, and teach interns to help with all the above.
• Track and optimise the site’s traffic and referrals, on both a weekly and monthly basis.
Skills and Qualifications:
• 3-5 years of experience in online publishing, with a proven background in beauty
• Bachelor’s degree
• Strong grammar, research, and copyediting skills, as well as a deep love for beauty writing
• Firsthand experience with daily publishing in a CMS, plus familiarity with HTML and web publishing software tools
• A comprehensive knowledge of celebrities, models, tastemakers, makeup artists, hairstylists, colorists, dermatologists, and fitness experts
• Ability to work calmly under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and provide self-direction
• Strong contacts/relationships with beauty industry press teams and celebrity publicists
• Familiarity with Byrdie.com’s voice and style
• Team player attitude, with a resourceful, can-do spirit and the ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
This is a full-time salaried position located in Los Angeles or New York. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Instructions for Submission:
If interested, please send your résumé, cover letter, and three examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may send links to online work and/or submit PDFs of print articles. The subject line of the email must read, “RESUME: Editor - [INSERT NAME HERE]”.
Please follow these instructions carefully in order to be considered. Due to the great number of résumés we receive, regrettably, we are unable to respond individually to each person interested in a position at Byrdie, or answer inquiries regarding the status of a particular résumé. If there is interest in interviewing you for an available position within our company, a representative from Clique Media Group will contact you in the near future.