When it comes to multipurpose beauty balms that can do everything from soothing dry skin to smoothing flyaways, Aquaphor has long ruled across the pond. Ask any U.S. beauty editor about the product and you’re likely to get a glowing review. Even A-listers like Beyoncé slather the balm all over their faces before bed. Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman, Zendaya and Emily Ratajkowski also all rave about the turbocharged powers of this chapped-skin saviour.
If you’re already googling where to buy this in the UK, take note of the slight name switch for British shelves. Here, you’ll find it in pharmacies labelled Eucerin Aquaphor Soothing Balm. Another plus? It costs less than a tenner for a 40-gram tube. But before you start stockpiling, allow us to fill you in on just how this super balm works (plus a few of the incredible uses you need to know about). Keep scrolling for the full DL on Eucerin’s hero ointment.
What Is Aquaphor?
Okay, so what is Aquaphor Soothing Balm, you ask? Basically, it’s a paraffin-based formula that’s thicker than a cream and similar to a petroleum jelly in texture. It was launched some 93 years ago with the aim to help soothe and heal dry or chapped skin. However, it’s now reached that stratospheric status that Cher, Madonna, Rihanna and Beyoncé have where you’ll recognize it only by its first name.
Unlike traditional petroleum jellies, however (which often work by forming a “mask” over the skin), paraffin wax (aka petrolatum) counts for just 41% of the Aquaphor formula. In fact, you’ll find glycerin and active ingredients such as panthenol and bisabolol in the other 59%. This, according to Aquaphor insiders, is where the magic lies.
Dylan Griffiths, Eucerin’s medical manager, explains: “Unlike 100% petroleum products, which are occlusive and therefore do not allow the skin to ‘breathe,’ Aquaphor forms a semi-occlusive barrier, or a ‘second skin.’ This enables the transmission of water and oxygen, which is vital to support regeneration and the formation of a protective, moist, healing environment. Additionally, the formula only contains seven ingredients. Therefore, it’s suitable for even the most sensitive skin.”
Keep scrolling for nine ways to use Aquaphor in your beauty routine.
1. Dry Skin
This is its intended use. Aquaphor is great for flooding dry skin with moisture, as it contains skin-conditioning panthenol (derived from vitamin B5), plus super-hydrator glycerin to replenish while strengthening the skin’s barrier. Make like Beyoncé and apply it all over your face post-holiday, or use it to tackle those annoying flaky patches.
2. Glossy Highlighter
Love that glossy-skin look? Achieve the perfect non-sticky highlight by dabbing a little Aquaphor balm over cheekbones, eyelids and brow bones. You’ll get a real moisture hit while you glow, too.
3. Hair Serum
If you want to give your flyaways a little more weight or add extra shine to your hair, rub a little balm between your fingers, and then lightly run it through your locks. If you’re going for a super-slicked look, be more generous with your application—Aquaphor is a lot less drying than hair gel. It’s also a great way to keep unruly eyebrows in check, as it can act as a light hair gel.
4. Foot Mask
Sandal season can leave us with the driest feet ever, not to mention painful cracked heels. So if your feet are in need of a pamper, slather on a generous layer of Aquaphor before bed. Add some cotton socks to lock it all in, and you’ll have super-soft feet come sunrise.
5. DIY Cream Blush
It’s all about cream blush right now, but if your favourite shade is limited to powder, here’s a quick trick for switching the consistency. Scrape some powder blush into a small pot or mixing tray, add a dollop of Aquaphor, and then swirl it together using a cotton bud or makeup brush. Et voilà! You’ve got a DIY creamy tint that’s ready for dabbing onto cheeks, lids or lips.
6. Eye Makeup Remover
7. Fake-Tan Barrier
Fed up with stained palms? Before you apply your fake tan, apply a thin layer of Aquaphor between your fingers, around your palms and along the edge of your heels. It’ll stop wayward colour from building up where you don’t want it.
8. Eczema Flare-Ups
If your eczema is prone to flaring up at the most inconvenient of times, keep a tube of Aquaphor in your handbag. As well as acting as a barrier cream to prevent any infection, the balm contains anti-inflammatory bisabolol, which will help soothe the itch and cool any heat.
9. Skin Healing
Whether you’ve scraped your skin, have just indulged in a little dermabrasion, laser treatment or a chemical peel, Aquaphor’s non-irritating formula will help to replenish any dryness and keep bacteria at bay while speeding up the skin regeneration process too. Eucerin even has clinical studies to back up their claims on this one, which gets a big thumbs up from us. ■